For more information, please visit our Resource Center.
NAIC Recognizes Its First DE&I Champion
On December 2, 2021, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) division, announced Ralph Villegas, a Manager II for the NAIC’s Financial Regulatory Services Life/A&H Analysis team, as the first recipient of the NAIC’s DE&I Champion Award.
“On behalf of all of the NAIC, we congratulate Ralph. He truly reflects all of our DE&I values and has done outstanding work to help position the NAIC as a leader in building a vibrant, diverse, organizational culture,” said NAIC CEO, Mike Consedine.
NAIC’s DE&I team announced a call for DE&I Champion nominees in September. The award recognizes an outstanding leader(s) who is highly engaged and goes above and beyond to create an impact in DE&I through their commitment within the pillars of:
- Workforce – Strive to attract, retain, develop, and promote employees with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives
- Workplace – Strive to create an inclusive and diverse work environment that promotes a sense of belonging for all employees
- Members – Provide support to commissioners to broaden awareness
- Community- Support DE&I Council and outreach to local organizations serving marginalized communities
Evelyn Boswell, NAIC’s Director of DE&I, is excited about what the DE&I Champion Award represents. “I’m excited by the progress the NAIC has made regarding DE&I. I encourage employees to stay involved and acknowledge their colleagues support of DE&I by nominating them for the DE&I Champion Award,” said Evelyn.
Employees can nominate current employees or small groups of employees who exhibits one or several of the following behaviors:
- Advocates for change and awareness of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace, community, and insurance industry.
- Participates in various corporate awareness and community events that promotes diversity awareness, acceptance, respect, compassion, and fostering relationships.
- Values and respects diverse points of views and varied ways to approach sensitive issues and topics.
- Facilitates positive communication and organized intergroup relations among persons of different races, ages, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, religious backgrounds, or physical and mental abilities.
- Demonstrates the ability to include others through his or her action of advocating for change.
- Supports DEI-related educational and professional development opportunities.
Evelyn also shared that the NAIC released its first DE&I Report this week. The report highlights the DE&I Champion Award and the work the NAIC has done in 2021.
About the National Association of Insurance Commissioners
As part of our state-based system of insurance regulation in the United States, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) provides expertise, data, and analysis for insurance commissioners to effectively regulate the industry and protect consumers. The U.S. standard-setting organization is governed by the chief insurance regulators from the 50 states, the District of Columbia and five U.S. territories. Through the NAIC, state insurance regulators establish standards and best practices, conduct peer reviews, and coordinate regulatory oversight. NAIC staff supports these efforts and represents the collective views of state regulators domestically and internationally.