|NAIC & NAIC Library Publications||Published Date||Summary||Audience|
|Considerations for State Insurance Regulators in Building the Private Flood Insurance Market||12/9/2019||This document provides information regarding ways for a DOI to encourage growth of private residential insurance.||State Regulators|
|State Disaster Response Plan||6/2020||This document is a template that is customizable to a DOI's individual needs. The Response Plan can be used when assisting consumers following a disaster.||State Regulators|
|Post Disaster Claims Guide||7/2019||This guide will help consumers understand what to do after a natural disaster damages their property, as well as how to prepare and take preventive measures to limit impact.||Consumers|
|NAIC Disaster Assistance Program||11/2017||The NAIC Disaster Assistance Program is a series of services provided by the NAIC to any member jurisdiction experiencing the aftermath of a catastrophic event where additional support is needed.||State Regulators|
|Flood Insurance Basics (Spanish)||N/A||Covers flood risk, flood facts, flood policies, and how to buy flood insurance.||Consumers|
Flood Insurance Basics (English)
|N/A||Covers flood risk, flood facts, flood policies, and how to buy flood insurance.||Consumers|
|Consumer's Guide to Earthquake Insurance||2011||This guide proves information to consumers on purchasing earthquake insurance coverage.||Consumers|
|Catastrophe Computer Modeling Handbook||11/2010||This handbook explores in some detail catastrophe computer models and discusses issues that have arisen or can be expected to rise from their use.||State Regulators|
|NAIC Disaster Reporting Framework||3/2008||This Framework provides a narrative to guide states on initiating a coordinated disaster reporting effort.||State Regulators|
|Resiliency and Mitigation Funding Sources||2/2020||A research report from the Library that summarizes resiliency and mitigation funding resources for states.||State Regulators|
|Climate, Catastrophe, and Resilience Library Resources||N/A||A curated collection of resources selected by library staff as they pertain to insurance regulation.||State Regulators|
|Publication/Website Authoring Organization||Summary||Audience|
|COVID-19 Pandemic Operational Guidance for 2020 Hurricane Season (FEMA)||In preparing for the 2020 hurricane season, this document provides actionable guidance to SLTT (state, local, tribal, and territorial) officials to prepare for response and recovery operations and encourages personal preparedness measures amidst the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.||State Regulators; Consumers|
|National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)||Consumer education about flood mitigation and risks. Buy or renew a NFIP flood policy.||Consumers|
|NFIP Desk Reference Guide||Information on FEMA and NFIP resources before, during, and after a flood.||State Regulators; Consumers|
|NFIP Claims Handbook||Handbook on the claims process and how to file an appeal.||Consumers|
|Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)||State Regulators; Consumers|
|FEMA Flood Map Service Center||Find official flood map, access a range of other flood hazard products, and take advantage of tools for better understanding flood risk.||Consumers|
|Ready.gov||Information on preparing for and responding to natural disasters such as flooding, tsunamis, pandemics, hurricanes, and more.||Consumers|
|DisasterAssistance.gov||Information on Federally Declared Disasters and disaster recovery aid.||Consumers|
|SBA Disaster Loan Assistance||Federal disaster loans for businesses, non-profits, homeowners, and renters.||Consumers|
|Centers for Disease Control & Prevention - Natural Disasters & Severe Weather||General information on various natural disasters and how to prepare and respond.||Consumers|
|National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)||Information on weather forecasts, severe storm warnings, and climate research, with an emphasis on technology and scientific processes.||State Regulators; Consumers|
|National Hurricane Center (NOAA)||Track tropical storms/hurricanes, read analyses/reports and explore weather data.||State Regulators; Consumers|
|U.S. Geological Survey - Earthquake Hazards||The USGS monitors and reports on earthquakes, assesses earthquake impacts and hazards, and conducts targeted research on the causes and effects of earthquakes.||State Regulators; Consumers|
|U.S. Fire Administration||Information on preparing, preventing and mitigating fire, including an archive of fire statistics/reports. Federal grants relating to fire safety/education are also available.||State Regulators|
- Flood. FAQ for consumers on flood insurance and what it covers and what is excluded.
- Rosendale Advises Montanans to Prepare for Spring Flooding Now. Press release issued in February 2020 advising consumers not to wait to buy flood insurance.
- Fire. Tips for consumers on fire prevention, as well as information on what to do after a disaster.
Disaster Risk Management
- Creating a Home Inventory. Tips for creating a home inventory.
- Earthquake Insurance. Consumer information on purchasing earthquake insurance.
- Nevada Consumer's Guide to Earthquake Insurance. Document for consumers on the basics of earthquake insurance.
- Consumer Alert: Division of Insurance offers tips for earthquake insurance. Tips for consumers on purchasing earthquake insurance.
These external agencies are mentioned on the Nevada Division of Insurance website and provide further information on catastrophe planning and preparedness.
No resources on catastrophes and resilience planning are currently available on Guam's website.
No external resources on catastrophe and resiliency planning are currently available on Guam's website.
Disaster Risk Management
- My insurance doesn't cover what? A document for consumers on fire, flood, natural disasters and how to best prepare for them.
- What does home, hurricane, and flood insurance cover? A brochure for consumers on flood, hurricane, and home insurance.
- Preparing for Natural Disasters. Information for consumers on preparing for hurricanes and what to do after a storm.
- Flood insurance information. Food insurance information for consumers.
- 2019 Flood insurance workshop for insurance agents, realtors, and lenders. Held August 15, 2019, this workshop provided training on the National Flood Insurance Program.
- Understanding flood insurance. Information for consumers to help them determine their flood risks and better understand flood policies.
- Guide to Hurricane Strengthening for Hawaii Single-Family Residences. This guide provides homeowners and contractors information on retrofitting residential structures in Hawaii.
- Hurricane Preparedness Tips. Outlines a four-step process for consumers to follow when preparing for hurricanes.
- Hurricane Insurance. Information on hurricane insurance for consumers.
- Hawaii Hurricane Relief Fund. Funds from the HHRF are available to residents if private hurricane insurance is limited in Hawaii.
- HRS 431P. This legislation outlines the provisions of the Hawaii Hurricane Relief Fund.
These external agencies are mentioned on Hawaii's Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs website and provide further information on catastrophe planning and preparedness.
- Federal Emergency Management Program (FEMA)
- U.S. Department of Transportation
- National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
Disaster Risk Management
- Disaster Preparedness. Consumer guide on preparing for disasters, as well as steps to take after an emergency.
- Post-Disaster Claims Guide. A consumer guide outlining steps to take post-disaster recovery, as well as preventive measures to take to mitigate before another disaster.
- After a Wildfire. Information for consumers on hiring contractors and working with public adjusters in recovery efforts after a wildfire.
- Wildfire Property Damage - Tips for Filing a Claim. Information on contacting insurance companies, recording damages sustained by fire, and what damages are typically covered and excluded from policies.
- Home Inventory Checklist. An inventory list, going room by room, of personal property so consumers may be better prepared when filing a claim for personal property damages.
- What to do Before and After a Flood. Tips for consumers to follow in order to prepare for a flood, as well as actions to take immediately after a flood. Also, tips for being aware of scammers who may try to take advantage of homeowners.
- Prepare Now for Flood Season in Idaho. A press release warning consumers to prepare well in advance for flooding season by purchasing flood insurance through NFIP.
- Flood (Surface Water) Coverage. Information on obtaining flood insurance through NFIP.
- Wildfires and homeowner insurance. Tips for homeowners to make sure their homeowner's insurance is adequate in case of a wildfire.
- State Fire Marshal - Fire in Idaho Annual Reports (from 1999-2018)
These external agencies are mentioned on the Idaho Department of Insurance website and provide further information on catastrophe planning and preparedness.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
- U.S. Fire Administration
- Idaho Fire Info
- Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH)
- National Association of State Fire Marshals
Disaster Risk Management
- Disasters Happen. Information for consumers to take steps to protect their assets before disaster strikes.
- Disaster preparedness checklist. Checklist for consumers on what to do before and after a catastrophe.
- Help with home insurance - Disaster Preparedness. Overview of homeowner's insurance and how it can help mitigate against unforeseen disasters.
- Oregon Resiliency: A Progress Report. A 5-year progress report on accomplishments achieved since the OR Resilience Plan's publication in 2013.
- Earthquake insurance. Discussion of earthquake and tsunami coverage for consumers.
- Earthquakes - Insurance Tips. Consumer tips on earthquake insurance.
- 2017 Earthquake Insurance Data Call.
- Flood Insurance. Consumer info on buying flood insurance.
- Commercial/Agricultural insurance for wildfires. Addresses fire/smoke damage, business interruption insurance, landslides and flooding.
- Governor's Council on Wildfire Response. Establishment of a Council that will review the state's current model for wildfire prevention, preparedness and response.
- Wildfire. Consumer information on preparing for wildfires.
These external agencies are mentioned on the Oregon Division of Financial Regulation's website and provide further information on catastrophe planning and preparedness.
- Earthquake (FEMA)
- Earthquake Hazards Program (USGS)
- FEMA Flood Map Service Center
- How do I buy flood insurance?
- National Flood Insurance Program
- Earthquakes in OR (OR Dept. of Geology & Mineral Industries)
- Fire Prevention (OR Dept. of Forestry)
- Map of Selected Earthquakes for OR, 1841-2002
- Portland Housing Bureau Flood Insurance Savings Program
- Put together an emergency kit
- Wildfires: Addressing worker concerns
There are currently no resources available on catastrophes and resiliency from the American Samoa Government's website.
These external agencies are mentioned on American Samoa government website and provide further information on catastrophe planning and preparedness.
- Pacific Disaster Center
- Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System (PacIOOS)
- State of Hawaii - Office of Planning: Hawaii Statewide GIS System
- Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environmental Program (SPREP)
- Be Ready for an Earthquake and Tsunami. Earthquake and tsunami preparedness tips for consumers.
- Flood Facts. Flood preparedness information for consumers.
- Understanding Flood Insurance. Brochure with information for consumers on flood insurance.
Hurricane & Wind
- Hurricane Awareness. Hurricane preparedness and insurance tips for consumers.
There are currently no resources available on catastrophes and resiliency from the Office of the Insurance Commissioner of Puerto Rico's website .