Dodd-Frank Financial Services Regulatory Reform: NAIC Initiatives
Title I of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Protection and Consumer Protection Act created the Financial Stability Oversight Council (FSOC) to monitor the safety and stability of the nation’s financial system, identify risks to the system, and coordinating response to any threats. FSOC has the authority to identify financial firms, financial market utilities and systemic payment, clearing, or settlement activities whose failure could potentially pose a risk to the financial system.
Those identified entities, utilities, and activities are subject to more stringent regulatory standards under the Federal Reserve Board of Governors. The council also facilitates coordination and information-sharing among member agencies, departments and functional regulators.
Eric A. Cioppa, Superintendent of the Maine Bureau of Insurance, is the designated state insurance regulator representative serving on the FSOC. He represents the interests of the nation’s state insurance regulators, providing critical insurance regulatory expertise.
FSOC is composed of 10 voting members:
- The Secretary of the Treasury (who also acts as FSOC Chair);
- The Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System;
- The Comptroller of the Currency;
- The Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau;
- The Chairperson of the Securities and Exchange Commission;
- The Chairperson of the Commodities Futures Trading Commission;
- The Chairperson of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation;
- The Director of the Federal Housing Agency;
- The Chairman of the National Credit Union Administration Board; and
- An independent member with insurance expertise appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate for a six-year term.
FSOC also has five non-voting members:
- A state insurance commissioner selected by the state insurance commissioners (through the NAIC);
- A state banking supervisor selected by the state banking supervisors;
- A state securities commissioner selected by the state securities supervisors;
- The Director of the Federal Insurance Office; and
- The Director of the Office of Financial Research.
State Insurance Regulator Comments Regarding FSOC Proposed Rule and Guidance (12/15/11 - Provided to Director John Huff, State Insurance Commissioner Representative to the Financial Stability Oversight Council)
Testimony Before the House Subcommittee on Oversight & Investigations Committee on Financial Services regarding 'Oversight of the Financial Stability Oversight Council (4/14/11 - John M. Huff, Director, State of Missouri Department of Insurance, Financial Institutions and Professional Registration)
NAIC Letter to U.S. Department of the Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner Regarding the Financial Stability Oversight Council (2/9/11 - NAIC Officers and John M. Huff, FSOC Member and Director of the Missouri Department of Insurance, Financial Institutions & Professional Registration)
NAIC Letter to the President on the Financial Stability Oversight Council
(8/12/10 - Jane L. Cline, NAIC President and West Virginia Insurance Commissioner and Therese M. (Terri) Vaughan Ph.D.)
NAIC Letter to U.S. House Committee on Financial Services and U.S. Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs regarding Conference on Financial Regulatory Reform Legislation
(6/3/10 - NAIC Officers)