The NAIC Financial Data Repository (Database) is updated every year by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) on behalf of and at the direction of its members, the state insurance commissioners.
Participation in the Database provides essential data for the Insurance Regulatory Information System (IRIS) Financial Ratio Reports, risk-based capital analysis, and other solvency-related reviews of individual companies, including reporting compliance and financial analysis. This serves to assist in preventing insolvencies for which liability is imposed on insurers under state guaranty fund laws. It also serves several other regulatory information needs, such as mandated: experience analysis for particular lines or sublines for individual companies and groups; general market structure and performance analysis; and statistics by company, groups or the industry as a whole.
It is extremely important that all filings are accurate, complete, and timely. The NAIC will be working to ensure that companies have complied with electronic filing requirements and financial reporting requirements contained in the Blanks, Annual Statement Instructions and Purposes and Procedures Manual of the NAIC Investment Analysis Office, and any data validation failures are resolved.
Steps to Completing a Financial Statement Filing
- If your company does not have an NAIC Company code (sometimes called "NAIC Number" or "cocode"), obtain one by completing the Company Code Application.
For questions regarding cocodes please call us at: 816-783-8600.
- Complete the financial statements using software from an approved vendor. See list of approved vendors.
- Transmit your filing to the NAIC via the Internet. Links for Internet Filing are provided to the right.
Click HERE to access the following resources maintained by the Blanks (E) Working Group:
- Revisions to the Annual Statement Instructions
- Revisions to the Annual Statement Blanks
- Filing Issues/Additional Guidance
- Electronic Filing Directives
- AVR/IMR Reporting
- Valid Designation, Administrative Symbol and Market Indicator Combinations
Additional NAIC Accounting and Reporting Resources:
- Payment Instructions & Fee Schedules
- Frequently Asked Questions
- State Filing Instructions and Checklists
- Filing Participation Packet
- 2021 Annual 2022 Quarterly Financial Statement Filing Deadlines
- Annual, Quarterly, and Risk-Based Capital Approved Software Vendors
- Formulas for Life, Health & Annuity Guaranty Association Assessable Premium Exhibit – Part 2
- Accounting Practices and Procedures
- Annual Statement Blanks
- Annual Statement Instructions
- Purposes & Procedures Manual of the NAIC Investment Analysis Office
- Guide to Compliance with State Audit Requirements
- Listing of Companies
- Retaliation: A Guide to State Retaliatory Taxes, Fees, Deposits and Other Requirements
- Risk-Based Capital (RBC) Forecasting Products
- Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP) Self-Study Program
- States' Prescribed Differences from NAIC Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP)
- Assistance with Annual and Quarterly Statement Completion