Disaster Risk Management
- Availability and Affordability of Coverage for Wildfire Loss in Residential Property Insurance in the Wildland-Urban Interface and Other High-Risk Areas of California: CDI Summary and Proposed Solutions. This report addresses the pullout of insurers in areas of the WUI, wildfire mitigation efforts by homeowners, increased premiums, and evaluation of wildfire-risk models.
- Dealing with Catastrophes. Consumer information on disaster planning and mitigation for wildfires, earthquakes, and floods.
- Resiliency projects. Briefly discusses projects to help mitigate climate change. Projects include Protecting the Bay and partnerships with Wildfire Partners and The Nature Conservancy.
- California Climate Institute. A new Climate and Sustainability Office will address the threat of climate change by working with the insurance industry, climate experts, the state of California, and international leaders. A list of key initiatives and recent news related to climate risk and resiliency are posted here.
- Earthquake Resources. Information on earthquake mitigation and insurance.
- SB-290: Natural disasters: insurance and related alternative risk transfer products: Special Fund for Economic Uncertainties. This bill authorizes the Governor, Insurance Commissioner, and Treasurer to enter into an insurance policy that pays out when California has unexpected costs for disaster response.
- SB-30: Insurance and climate change. This bill allows the Insurance Commissioner to convene a working group to identify, assess, and recommend risk transfer market mechanisms that promote investment in natural infrastructure to reduce risks of climate change related to catastrophic events, create incentives for investment in natural infrastructure to reduce risk to communities, and provide mitigation incentives.
- SB-901: Wildfires. This bill requires all state utilities to submit wildfire mitigation plans.
- Wildfire Resources. Information on wildfire preparedness and insurance.
These external agencies are mentioned on the California Department of Insurance website and provide further information on catastrophe planning and preparedness.
- National Flood Insurance Program
- U.S. Geological Survey: Earthquake Hazards Program
- Small Business Administration: Disaster Loan Assistance
- California Earthquake Authority
- California Wildfires Statewide Recovery Resources
- Earthquake Brace & Bolt
- Governer's Office of Emergency Services (CalEOS) Earthquake Recovery
- California Integrated Seismic Network (CISN)
- California Residential Mitigation Project