Disaster Risk Management
Catastrophe preparation and response resources. Resources tailored to insurance industry, including pre- and post-disaster communication, emergency licensing for out-of-state company adjusters and credentialing for access to heavily damaged areas.
Insurance and disaster preparedness checklists. Disaster preparedness checklist for businesses.
- 2006 and 2017 Coastal Homeowners' Insurance Availability Study. This report uses data from CID and the NAIC showing availability of insurance to coastal homeowners, despite the threat of tropical storms and hurricanes.
- Connecticut Recovers. A website CT consumers and business owners can check for updated information and communications post-disaster.
- Be prepared - Hurricane Season. Page of consumer resources on preparedness.
- Hurricane Awareness podcast (2009). Former insurance commissioner Thomas Sullivan explains steps consumers can take to be ready for severe weather. Also contains a text script of the podcast.
These external agencies are mentioned on the Connecticut's Department of Insurance website and provide further information on catastrophe planning and preparedness.
- Connecticut Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security
- Connecticut Small Business Development Center: Protect your business
- CT Prepares
Institute for Business and Home Safety (IBHS)
- Is Your Home Protected from Hurricane Disaster?
- Reducing Severe Winter Weather Risk
- Quick Tips to Prevent Water Damage