Disaster Risk Management
- Catastrophe Savings Account. A regular savings account or money market account established after 1/1/2015 by a Mississippi income taxpayer to assist with post-catastrophe losses, or to self-insure all or a portion of one's home.
- Mitigation. Information for consumers on mitigation strategies.
- Preparedness. Resources for consumers on being prepared for a variety of severe weather, including hurricanes, earthquakes, flooding, and tornadoes.
- Home Inventory. Ten easy steps to create a home inventory checklist.
- Flood. Tips for consumers on staying safe during a flood, and preparing for a flood (including purchasing flood insurance through the NFIP).
- More than 7,000 flood insurance policies in effect in flooded areas (Feb. 2020). Press release detailing the number of flood policies in effect by county.
- Don't wait, prepare now for hurricane season (May 2020). Press release on the importance of preparing for the upcoming hurricane season.
- We should examine how prepared we are as hurricane season arrives (June 2019). Opinion piece by Commissioner Chaney about the benefits of preparing for hurricane season.
- Comprehensive Hurricane Damage Mitigation Program: Cost and Benefit Study-2010. MS passed a law in 2007 as a first step toward establishing a comprehensive public policy program promoting hurricane wind loss mitigation (program) for homes and businesses in 6 coastal counties. This is a study examining the proposed effectiveness of the mitigation program, as required by a MS statute 83-1-191.
- Wind Mitigation Programs. Programs to help fund mitigation efforts against windstorm/hurricane damage.
- Consumer Hurricane Checklist. Tips for consumers on preparing for a hurricane, and ensuring insurance protection is adequate. Also information on what to do after a hurricane hits and how to work with your insurance company.
- 83-1-191 - Comprehensive hurricane damage mitigation program established (Bill I-HB 391). The program may develop and implement a comprehensive and coordinated approach for hurricane damage mitigation. Established in 2007.
- Tornadoes. Consumer information about the warning signs of a tornado, staying safe during a tornado, and insurance coverage for tornadoes.
These external agencies are mentioned on the Mississippi Department of Insurance website and provide further information on catastrophe planning and preparedness.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency Flood Map Service Center (FEMA)
- National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
- Ready.gov Make a Plan