CIPR Resiliency Map - North Carolina
Disaster Risk Management
- In a Disaster. Homepage of the NC DOI's disaster resources (including some of the following documents below).
- How to Prepare for a Storm. Information on how to prepare for a disaster, including taking a home inventory and reviewing insurance policies.
- During the Storm. Defines actions to take when a hurricane, flood, earthquake, wildfire, or tornado strikes.
- After the Storm. Actions to take immediately following a storm.
- Additional Disaster Resources: List of other national and state organizations that can assist consumers with disaster recovery and preparedness.
- Consumer Guide: What to do in the event of a disaster. Publication from the NC DOI about what to do before and after a disaster.
- Disaster Mediation. Consumers who have had their homeowner's claim(s) partially or completely denied following a disaster can request a mediation conference with an independent mediation to help facilitate discussions between the insurance company and policyholder.
- Homeowners Inventory Chart. Document for consumers to inventory their property in case of loss or damage.
- Protecting Yourself from Scams. Advice for consumers working with contractors after a disaster.
- Earthquakes (During the Storm). Actions to take during an earthquake.
- Flood Insurance. Information on acquiring a flood insurance policy through the NFIP.
- Consider Flood Insurance. Information about the NFIP.
- Flooding during a storm: Advice for actions to take when flooding is imminent.
- National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Information on the NFIP.
- Homeowner's insurance and flood. Flood insurance and homeowner's insurance information.
- FAQs from the NC Department of Insurance Flood Conferences. Questions directed to the DOI about flood issues and insurance coverages.
Hurricane and Wind
- Insurance Commissioner Causey encourages North Carolinians to prepare as hurricane season approaches (May 2020). News release emphasizing storm prevention measures consumers should take now.
- NCHurriClaims.com - Your source for insurance in a disaster. A toolkit created to help North Carolinians access insurance information before, during and after a storm.
- Prepare and Prevent: Hurricane Preparation Week runs until May 11th. Press release from Commissioner Causey on the importance of preparing for hurricane season, along with tips on steps to take to prepare.
- Windstorm and Hail. Consumer information on windstorm and hail insurance, which may be excluded from residential property insurance.
- Fortified Homes & Mitigation Credits. Information on insurance discounts that may be available to certain consumers.
- Recovery From a Fire. Advice for consumers on what to expect following a fire and how to get back on the road to recovery.
- What to do After the Fire. A short publication from the NC DOI on what happens after a fire with recovery efforts.
- North Carolina DOI - Office of State Fire Marshal. Information on fire safety programs, building and engineering codes, and more.
Tornadoes (During the Storm). Actions to take when a tornado hit is imminent.
These external agencies are mentioned on the North Carolina Department of Insurance website and provide further information on catastrophe planning and preparedness.
- North Carolina Forest Service
- State Emergency Response Commission
- Upper Coastal Plain Council of Governments
- North Carolina Department of Justice (Filing a Consumer Complaint with the Attorney General)
- North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services: Emergency Programs
- North Carolina Joint Underwriting Association - FAIR Plan & Coastal Property Insurance Pool (CPIP)