Disaster Risk Management
- Catastrophe Savings Accounts. Information on CSAs for consumers.
- Resource Document for Mitigation Techniques (SC Safe Home). Fortification measures must be accomplished in accordance with the standards in this resource document in order to be eligible for the tax credit.
- Are You Storm Ready? A Guide to Being Prepared for Storm Damage (2020). Booklet for consumers on adequately preparing for severe weather, including drafting a disaster plan, creating an emergency kit and a home inventory, and reviewing insurance coverage. Home mitigation measures, insurance discounts, tax credits, and catastrophe savings plans are also discussed.
- SCDOI Helps Consumers Prepare with Free Starter Emergency Kits (June 20, 2020). Press release about the DOI's consumer event in partnership with Home Depot where 200 free starter emergency kits and disaster preparedness information were handed out.
- Severe Weather Recovery. Information for consumers on how to proceed after experiencing damage from a storm and how the state DOI can assist.
- Omnibus Coastal Property Insurance Reform Act of 2007. Provides certain income tax credits for the costs a homeowner incurs in fortifying their home against hurricane losses.
- Section 12-6-3660. Tax credit for costs of retrofitting to make residence more hurricane resistant.
- Section 12-6-3665. Credit for sales tax paid on purchases of tangible personal property to retrofit residence.
- Why is it important to have flood insurance? Information about obtaining flood insurance from the NFIP.
Hurricane & Wind
- Homeowners Mitigation Credits. Premium discounts for mitigation measures that strengthen coastal homes and businesses against damage from hurricanes.
- Hurricane Catastrophe Modeling. Information on catastrophe modeling.
- Hurricane Preparedness. Information for consumers on how to prepare for a hurricane along with insurance claims information.
- SC Safe Home Mitigation Grant Program. Provides matching and non-matching grant funds to help coastal property owners retrofit their homes to make them more resistant to hurricane and wind damage.
- A Consumer's Guide to Earthquake Insurance. A guide published by the NAIC available on the SC DOI's website for homeowners.
These external agencies are mentioned on the South Carolina Department of Insurance website and provide further information on catastrophe planning and preparedness.
- South Carolina Emergency Management Division: Hurricane Guide
- South Carolina Department of Transportation: Storm Resources