- Attach the Certificate of Authority to Transact Business in Texas that is obtained from the Texas Secretary of State's Office at www.sos.state.tx.us or call 512-463-5555
- Attach a copy of the Articles of Incorporation or Articles of Organization or Articles of Association with all amendments that has been certified by the authorizing jurisdiction of your resident state or a copy of the Partnership Agreement with all addenda. If there is no partnership agreement, a letter signed by all partners stating there is no partnership agreement and that the partnership intends to act as an insurance agent/agency. TDI must determine that the entity is authorized to engage in the business of insurance as an agent OR generally authorized to engage in any lawful business under a general business purpose clause.
- Attach your current Texas Franchise Tax Certificate of Good Standing or No Nexus Letter obtained from the Texas State Comptroller of Public Accounts. All entities that are subject to Texas franchise tax are required to provide a current Texas Franchise Tax Certificate of Good Standing or a copy of the No Nexus Letter the entity received from the Texas Comptroller. Even new and nonresident entities must submit one of these documents. To determine if your entity is subject to Texas franchise tax and to obtain one of these documents, contact the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts at www.cpa.state.tx.us or call 1-800-252-1386.
Attach proof of financial responsibility by one of the following methods:
Errors and Omissions Policy - A Certificate of Insurance or a copy of a current Errors and Omissions (E & O) policy. The policy must insure the applicant in at least the sum of $250,000 with a deductible of not more than 10 percent of the full amount of the policy.
Bond - A surety bond in the principal sum of $25,000 payable to the Texas Department of Insurance. (Bond forms may be obtained from the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) or at http://www.tdi.texas.gov/forms/form11.html.
Proof of financial responsibility is not required of business entity applicants holding a current license in their resident state.
TDI will verify your active resident license status in the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) Producer Database (PDB) system. If you are not currently listed in the PDB, you must obtain and attach a Certificate of Good Standing from your resident state that is not more than 90 days old.
- Attach TDI-501 Appointment Form. If a completed Notice of Appointment is not received with the application, the license may be issued. However, not later than the 30th day after the effective date of the agency's appointment by an insurance company, a TDI Notice of Appointment with the $10 fee must be submitted to Texas Department of Insurance. The Notice of Appointment requirement does not apply to surplus lines applicants.
- In reference to question 25, at least one officer or one active partner of the applicant entity must be individually licensed by the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) to act as an agent under the applicant entity. Please provide the officer(s) or partner(s) TDI license number.
In reference to question 26, identify all executive officers, directors, or partners who administer the applicant entity's insurance operations in Texas and all individuals and entities in control of 10 percent or more of the agency's voting stock. Provide the SSN, date of birth and mailing address of each individual listed. Each individual must provide an original fingerprint card and completed FAST Fingerprint Card Scan Authorization Form with a $44.20 check or money order payable to IBT.
The fingerprint card requirement is waived if the applicant entity holds an active entity license that is similar to the license requested on this application in another state.
The FAST Fingerprint Card Scan Authorization Form may be obtained from http://www.tdi.texas.gov/forms/form11.html. If the applicant entity is owned, in whole or in part, by another entity, provide an attachment which discloses all entity and individual control relationships affecting the entity up to the ultimate controlling individual or entity. This disclosure may be in the form of an organization chart naming the entities and individuals and showing their relationship to the applicant entity.
- An officer or partner of the applicant entity must sign the application.
- Notarize application
- Attach a $50.00 money order or check made payable to the Texas Department of Insurance.
- If the entity will be conducting an insurance agency business in Texas at an address other than those indicated on this application, a separate Texas Department of Insurance Form LDTL must be filed with TDI for each additional Texas branch office location.
- Attach TDI-501 Appointment Form. If a completed Notice of Appointment is not received with the completed application, the license may be issued. However, not later than the 30th day after the effective date of the agent's appointment by an insurance company, a TDI Notice of Appointment with the $10.00 fee must be submitted to TDI. The Notice of Appointment requirement does not apply to surplus lines applicants.
- Attach a $50.00 money order or check made payable to Texas Department of Insurance
- Equivalent license must be held in your resident state.
- Sign application
- Notarize application
The National Insurance Producer Registry ("NIPR") populates the State Matrix of Business Rules ("State Matrix") with information provided directly from participating state insurance departments. Participating states are encouraged to provide updated information when appropriate. NIPR does not guarantee the completeness, accuracy or adequacy of the information in the State Matrix. The information in the State Matrix does not constitute legal advice and use of this information is at user's own risk and responsibility. Any questions regarding the interpretation of the rules or the accuracy of the information should be directed to the appropriate state insurance department.