Disaster Risk Management
- A Guide for Conducting a Community Risk Assessment. A guide for municipalities and fire departments to conduct a risk assessment for their communities.
- Excellence in Community Risk Reduction Award. TDCI awards this to community innovators and leaders in the area of fire risk reduction.
- TDCI Shares Tips on Preparing for, Reacting to Severe Weather Ahead of Hurricane Season. A list of tips for consumers to prepare for disasters.
- Consumer Disaster Recovery Resources. Resources recommended by the Department of Commerce & Insurance to help consumers recover and rebuild from a disaster.
- Disaster Recovery Video (YouTube). After a disaster, affected consumers need answers to help them recover and rebuild. The Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance wants to assist Tennesseans in the recovery process to help them focus on rebuilding and avoid pitfalls that can cause delays.
- Earthquake Safety Tips. What to do if an earthquake strikes.
- A Consumer's Guide to Earthquake Insurance. A guide for consumers published by the NAIC about earthquake insurance.
- TDCI, TEMA Remind Consumers to Learn More About Earthquake Insurance (Feb. 2020). Reminder to consumers about adequately preparing for earthquakes, including having earthquake insurance.
- TDCI, NAIC Share Tips on Flood Insurance. A list of tips for consumers on flood insurance.
- TDCI Debunks Flood Insurance Myths on Ninth Anniversary of Nashville Flood. Myths and facts about flood insurance for consumers.
- TDCI Urges Consumers to Rethink Flood Insurance on 10th Anniversary of Nashville Flood (May 2020). Frequently asked questions about flood insurance for consumers.
- Commissioner Mainda Urges Tennesseans to Rethink Flood Insurance on Tenth Anniversary of Nashville Flood (April 2020). Blog post from the Commissioner urging consumers to prepare for flooding by having flood insurance.
- Rethink Flood Insurance, Tennessee! Brochure for consumers separating myths from facts about flood insurance.
Hurricanes & Wind
- TDCI Shares Tips on Preparing for, Reacting to Severe Weather Ahead of Hurricane Season (2018). Tips from the Department on preparing for hurricane season, including assembling an emergency kit and purchasing flood insurance.
- Tennessee Consumers Must be Wary of Hurricane-Related Price Gouging, Scams (2019). Advice for identifying potential scams after a disaster hits.
- Monthly Fire Prevention & Education Planning Guide 2018-2019. The purpose of this guide is to provide a 12-month public fire education program as a guide for SFMO fire prevention activities.
- State Fire Marshal & State Forester Promote Wildfire Awareness This Spring (2018). Tips and advice on preparing for a wildfire.
- SFMO: 3,141 Outdoor Fires Caused $2.8M Property Loss from 2013-2017 (issued in 2018). Tips from the State Fire Marshal's Office on outdoor burning activities.
These external agencies are mentioned on the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance website and provide further information on catastrophe planning and preparedness.