The mission of the Speed to Market (H) Working Group is to 1) serve as the NAIC focal point for modernization of the insurance product filing and review processes; 2) monitor the development and implementation of speed to market efficiencies and the System for Electronic Rate and Form Filing (SERFF); and 3) provide support to the Interstate Insurance Product Regulation Commission (IIPRC) for initiatives that require uniformity and policy changes within the states, where necessary.
2022 Adopted Charges
The Speed to Market (H) Working Group will:
- Consider proposed System for Electronic Rate and Form Filing (SERFF) features or functionality presented to the Working Group by the SERFF Advisory Board, likely originating from the SERFF Product Steering Committee (PSC). Upon approval and acquisition of any needed funding, direct the SERFF Advisory Board to implement the project. Receive periodic reports from the SERFF Advisory Board, as needed.
- Provide feedback and recommendations concerning the SERFF modernization when requested by the Executive (EX) Committee and any group assigned oversight of the SERFF modernization by the Executive (EX) Committee.
- Discuss and oversee the implementation and ongoing maintenance/enhancement of speed to market operational efficiencies related to product filing needs, efficiencies and effective consumer protection. This includes the following activities:
- Provide a forum to gather information from the states and the industry regarding tools, policies and resolutions to assist with common filing issues. Provide oversight in evaluating product filing efficiency issues for state insurance regulators and the industry, particularly with regard to uniformity.
- Use SERFF data to develop, refine, implement, collect and distribute common filing metrics that provide a tool to measure the success of the speed to market modernization efforts as measured by nationwide and individual state speed to market compliance, with an emphasis on monitoring state regulatory and insurer responsibilities for speed to market for insurance products.
- Facilitate proposed changes to the product coding matrices (PCMs) and the uniform transmittal document (UTD) on an annual basis, including the review, approval and notification of changes. Monitor, assist with and report on state implementation of any PCM changes.
- Facilitate the review and revision of the Product Filing Review Handbook, which contains an overview of all of the operational efficiency tools and describes best practices for industry filers and state reviewers with regard to the rate and form filing and review process. Develop and implement a communication plan to inform states about the Product Filing Review Handbook.
- Provide direction to NAIC staff regarding SERFF functionality, implementation, development and enhancements. Direct NAIC staff to provide individual state speed to market reports to each commissioner at each national meeting. Receive periodic reports from NAIC staff, as needed.
- Conduct the following activities as desired by the Interstate Insurance Product Regulation Commission (Compact):
- Provide support to the Compact as the speed to market vehicle for asset-based insurance products, encouraging the states’ participation in, and the industry’s usage of the Compact.
- Receive periodic reports from the Compact, as needed.
Working Group Contacts:
Assistant Director Market Regulation
Market Regulation Specialist II/Trainer
Senior Manager I - Application Support
Manager I - Implementation
Regulatory Coordinator Consultant
Phone: (202) 471-3962
Please see the current Committee List for a complete list of committee members.